Bereavement refers to a period of mourning before, during and after a loss, and grief in reaction to the loss. Bereavement care is an important part of the hospice experience and includes anticipating grief reactions and providing ongoing support for the bereaved over a period of 13 months. UR Medicine Home Care offers our Bereavement program to the community at no charge.
How Can Bereavement Support Help Me?
Losing a loved one isn’t easy to prepare for or accept. Grieving is a healthy and normal response to loss. We provide support through the bereavement process and can help individuals and families heal. We’re available to provide you or your family with as much or as little assistance before or after a loved one has died, at no cost. Our Bereavement Program is an extension of our hospice care and helps address feelings of loss, grief or sorrow through:
- Individual or group support
- Community referrals to trained bereavement professionals as needed
- Special programs and services, such as education or training
- Quarterly letters
- The Evening of Remembrance held annually to honor loved ones
- Trained bereavement volunteers that offer massage, Reiki, energy work, spiritual care and who provide regular supportive phone calls
Are There Local Support Groups I Could Attend?
- Visiting Nurse Hospice (2180 Empire Blvd., Webster, NY 14580) Held Tuesdays at 11:00 a.m. Facilitated by Michele Allman, LMSW, UR Medicine Home Care’s Visiting Nurse Hospice Bereavement Coordinator, this group provides support to anyone who has experienced a death of a loved one.
- Ontario-Yates Hospice offers bi-monthly bereavement support groups facilitated by Jan DiDuro. Community members are welcomed to attend the first and third Tuesdays from 1:00-2:30pm at The Presbyterian Church 24 Park Place, in Geneva. Meetings are held in the Parlor Room. Contact Jan for more information at 315-759-8225 or Jdiduro@vnsnet.com.
- Memorial AMC Zion Church (549 Clarrissa St, Rochester, NY 14608) Held the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m. Facilitated by Carolyn Lester. This group is specifically for adults who have experienced a loss including a death of a family member. It is open to the community as well as the congregation of this church.
- Newman House (96 Adams St., Brockport, NY 14420) Held on the second and fourth Fridays of each month at 11:00 a.m. Facilitated by Michele Allman, LMSW, VNS Bereavement Coordinator. This group provides support to adults ages 18 – 25 who have experienced the death of a family member or friend. **In the event that Brockport School District closes due to bad weather, this group will also be cancelled.**
- Elmgrove United Methodist Church (1500 Spencerport Rd., Rochester, NY 14606) Held each Thursday at 6:30 p.m. Facilitated by Nina Hurd and Carrie Horton. This group provides support to anyone who has experienced the death of a loved one.
Please call :
Visiting Nurse Hospice – Michele Allman, LMSW, at 585-274-4069, or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or to make reservations.
Ontario-Yates Hospice – Jan DiDuro at 315-759-8225, or e-mail at email@example.com for any questions or to make reservations.
Do You Offer Specialized Support For Children?
Yes, the agency offers Camp Heartstrings / Camp Dreams. The program is a day camp designed to benefit children (entering grades 2 – 11 in September 2017) who are adjusting to the death of a loved one. Developed by Licensed Master Social Workers, this camp promotes understanding, acceptance, hope and healing through a comprehensive program of activities. It is staffed by credentialed professionals and trained volunteers. This camp is offered free-of-charge to children and families, and is provided by Visiting Nurse Hospice, Pittsford Youth Services, Dreams from Drake, and St. John Fisher College. Download the full brochure here.
Will My Insurance Cover The Cost Of Bereavement Services?
The hospice benefit provides bereavement care to families and loved ones in the year following a patient’s death. Additionally, bereavement services to the community, including counseling and support, are provided at no cost.