Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams is a three day camp for children (entering grades 2 – 11 in September 2018) who are adjusting to the death of a loved one. Developed by Licensed Master Social Workers, this camp promotes understanding, acceptance, healing and hope through a comprehensive program of activities. It is staffed by credentialed professionals and trained volunteers, and is sponsored by Visiting Nurse Hospice, Pittsford Youth Services, and Dreams from Drake.
CAMP IS FULL FOR 2018. SEE YOU IN 2019!
1:00 – 5:30 p.m. daily
Families are invited to a complimentary dinner at the end of the last day at 5:30 pm
Campers are required to attend all days and times.
St. John Fisher College
(3690 East Ave., Rochester)
How camp can benefit your child
Grief is difficult for everyone. It can be especially confusing for children who do not have the life experiences and resources adults draw on during difficult times. Camp helps fill that gap by:
- Developing campers’ coping skills for expressing and processing their grief.
- Offering campers an opportunity to be with peers who also experienced loss; this helps them realize they are not alone.
- Providing therapeutic and social activities such as pet therapy, games, art therapy, a balloon release, music therapy, and a family style dinner at the conclusion of camp.
- Teaching campers that it is ok to have fun and still honor their loved ones.
- Assisting campers to talk openly about their loved ones with camp staff and peers.
There is no cost to campers or their families. We are happy to provide this program free of charge.
Registration is closed for 2018! For 2019, you can download and fill out the PDF application here. Please see the contact info below on where to send your child’s application.
For questions, please contact Michele Allman, LMSW, Bereavement Coordinator at Visiting Nurse Hospice, at 585-274-4069 or at CampHeartstrings@urmhomecare.org.
We are grateful to the businesses and families who make Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams possible. Businesses or families who wish to donate to the camp can call 585-274-4253 or donate online and designate Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams as the recipient.
If you would like to volunteer for Camp Heartstrings/Camp Dreams, please complete the online form or fill out this form and either email it to CampHeartstrings@urmhomecare.org or mail it to UR Medicine Home Care, Attn: Camp Heartstrings, 2180 Empire Boulevard, Webster, NY 14580.